2020 KTM 500 EXC-F
Dynamic And Powerful: Stand back or hold on tight, this is the most powerful dual-sport on the market. The new generation KTM 500 EXC-F packs a thrilling 4-stroke punch while still delievring outstanding rideability. Thanks to a completely reworked chassis and its even more compact high-tech engine, this large-displacement power machine is surprisingly light with excellent agility. As a result, this awesome 510 cc SOHC single cylinder bombshell has an incredible power-to-weight ratio and provides nothing less than the most dynamic dual-sport experience available.
- KTM continues its evolution of the dual-sport segment with a new range of 4-stroke engines. The race-winning performance of KTM's pros has filtered through to these powerful new motors, proving they're capable of taking you to the front straight out of the crate. The reworked engines are the most competitve, compact and light engines on the market, setting the benchmark in performance, rideabilty and reliability. This means they are capable of winning in each engine class and dominating the trails.
- Crankshaft: The KTM 500 EXC-F's crankshaft is located in an ideal position close to the center of gravity, contributing to easier handling. It utilizes a short connecting rod, which makes for an overall compact and lightweight engine with a snappy power delivery. A plain big (bottom) end bearing with two force-fitted bearing shells runs directly on the crank pin. The engine's pressurized lubrication system provides the necessary oil feed for this bearing. This design has a direct benefit for the crankshaft with extended service intervals, which are lengthened due to the plain bearing. So just pin it, all day long.
- Cylinder head: The 500 EXC-F engine is fitted with a newly developed SOHC cylinder head which is much more compact, 15 mm lower and 500 gr lighter improving the mass centralization and contributing to even better handling. The gas flow through the newly shaped ports is controlled by a new overhead camshaft which is now closer to the center of gravity for improved handling. It features a better axial fixation of the de-compressor shaft and a new, more efficient integrated engine breather system. The four new valves are shorter and adapted to the new head design, but retain the same valve timing as the predecessor. The rocker arms have been optimized with a stiffer design, guaranteeing more constant performance throughout the rpm range. A shorter timing chain and new low-friction chain guides contribute to the engine's overall reduced weight and lower friction. The new head configuration promises more efficient power delivery and unrivalled performance.
- Engine cases and covers: The EXC models feature reworked engine cases, reducing the weight by nearly 300 gr. The design allows for a very centralized shaft configuration, making the engine very short and compact, while contributing to an efficient centralization of mass. Additionally, the engine covers feature a smart surface structure which reduces wear caused by the rider's boots, keeping them looking as fresh as the day you bought it, while a new reinforced clutch cover means the engine is more robust, even in rocky terrain.
- Always optimal: Maintaining the optimal engine temperature and consistent horsepower throughout the ride, the KTM EXC-F range features newly designed radiators which are mounted 12 mm lower than the predecessors, lowering the center of gravity, matching the design of the new shrouds perfectly and providing perfect ergonomics. By using CFD technology (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and a smarter coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, in all conditions. Above all, a reworked delta distributor, integrated into the frame triangle has a 4 mm larger center tube, increasing the cross section by 57%, so coolant flows from the cylinder head to the radiators more efficiently. The radiators have special protectors that protect from flying rocks and debris while also acting as a brace to disperse energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- Finely tuned: When it comes to improved power delivery and performance, the new exhaust plays a key role and packs a punch that is hard to beat. All 4-stroke EXC models feature new, two-piece header pipes (two parts instead of one on the predecessor) which can now be disassembled much more easily and which allows better access to the shock. The aluminum muffler sleeve has a newly designed, slightly larger profile with a new end cap. Compared to the predecessors they are shorter and more compact, bringing the weight closer to the center of gravity for better mass centralization.
- KTM engineers take weight loss seriously. As a result, they have crafted the 2020 KTM EXC-F models to be the slimmest, lightest and quickest-turning dual-sport bikes available. And with an E-starter as standard, getting the big single turned over is as simple as pressing a button.
- All EXC models feature new high-tech, lightweight chromoly steel frames. This includes hydro-formed elements produced by state-of-the-art robot welding. They retain their race-proven geometries, but by redesigning certain areas they now have a higher lateral, longitudinal and torsional stiffness, resulting in better feedback for the rider, playful handling and improved stability. The laterally attached engine head stays (the connection between cylinder, head and frame) are now made of aluminum, reducing vibration and further contributing to precise cornering. The bikes also feature newly designed lateral frame guards with a structured surface, improving grip, while also serving as a heat protector against the muffler on the right side. The subframe is made of extra-light and stable aluminum profiles, weighing less than 2 lbs (900 gr) and is 40 mm longer than before, providing better rear fender stability.
- Swingarm: The KTM 500 EXC-F's one-piece aluminum swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process, offering exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. The single-component casting process offers low weight, perfect flex behavior and also allows for a large number of geometry solutions.
- Wheels: KTM uses lightweight, CNC-machined hubs and high-end GIANT rims on all Enduro models, guaranteeing maximum stability and minimum weight. For 2020, the aluminum spoke nipples feature a reworked design, which conveniently reduces the frequency with which the spokes need to be tightened.
- Front suspension: All EXC models are fitted with the latest 48 mm diameter, WP XPLOR upside-down forks, featuring a split fork design developed by WP and KTM. While each side is fitted with springs, they have separate damping functions. Compression damping is on the left and the rebound on the right. Both can easily be adjusted via the dials on top of both fork tubes with 30 clicks each. Although already distinguished for outstanding response and damping characteristics, the 2020 fork features a calibrated mid-valve piston for more constant damping. It also has new upper fork caps and clicker adjusters for easier adjustment with a new color and graphic design. The new settings keep the front end higher, providing increased reserves against bottoming out.
- Rear suspension: The WP XPLOR shock absorber is the key element in the proven PDS rear suspension design (progressive damping system), where the shock is directly linked to the swingarm without an additional linkage system. This keeps weight lower and reduces the chances of hooking on rocks. Optimal dual-sport specific damping progression is achieved by using a second damping piston in combination with a closed cup towards the end of the stroke, and supported by a progressive shock spring. For 2020, improvements to the second piston, as well as a reworked shape and sealing of the cup, lead to improved resistance against bottoming without any sacrifice of comfort. New settings on the XPLOR shock with PDS technology provide better damping characteristics and match the new frame and reworked front-end set-up perfectly. It is fully adjustable, including high and low-speed compression, so you can set the shock up to suit any track, trail and rider preferences.
- Stopping power: These high-tech Brembo brakes are combined with lightweight Wave brake discs. You couldn't brake any harder or with better feel on a dual-sport motorcycle.
- Inspired design: All models in the EXC range are fitted with newly designed lightweight polyethylene tanks improving the ergonomics. The 1/4-turn bayonet filler cap makes for quick and easy closure. Manufactured using see-through plastic, you will always be able to see how much fuel remains at a glance. It is fitted with an integrated fuel pump system and a fuel level sensor. Additionally, the fuel line features a 90° connector to the tank for better protection against damage.
- Simple and effective: The new airbox on the KTM 500 EXC-F has been completely reworked to ensure better flow dynamics, resulting in optimal power and throttle response. Despite the obvious performance enhancements, the new design also offers maximum protection against soiling of the air filter. The large twin-air air filter is mounted on a cleverly designed stiff cage that minimizes incorrect installation. As found on previous models, filter maintenance is quick and easy and does not require tools - a standard, original feature from KTM.
- Designed for complete harmony between rider and bike, KTM has exploited the knowledge from decades of race success to create perfect ergonomics on the KTM 500 EXC-F. Maximum rider comfort and movement in all conditions is guaranteed.
- Shaped for control: All KTM EXC models are equipped with the same high-strength aluminum tapered NEKEN handlebar. The handlebar allows for four different positions. The handlebars come standard with an ODI vulcanized grip on the right side and a comfortable ODI lock-on grip, which does not require any wire or glue, on the left.
- Innovatively strong: Sophisticated ´No-Dirt´ footpegs prevent clogging up the pegs, even when digging in deep ruts. The pegs on the Enduro models are 6 mm higher than the ones used on SX models, which benefits ground clearance. But you can swap them at will.
- With input from KTM's factory riders, as well as KTM R&D and Kiska Design, the new bodywork of the KTM 500 EXC-F pushes the boundaries of progression even further. The result is a shape across the entire range, that achieves complete harmony between rider and bike. The main goal was to provide the optimal contact points that allow a rider maximum freedom of movement and improved handling. The front and rear fenders feature an intelligent I-beam design, guaranteeing maximum stability with the lowest possible weight. A new tail light design fits perfectly to the new shape of the rear fender and the number plate carrier. The new in-mold graphics confirm the high-performance intentions of this bike, as well as KTM's never-ending quest for race-winning progression.
- The state-of-the-art KEIHIN engine management system, with electronic fuel injection, features a new 42 mm throttle body, which provides an instantaneous response and maximum performance thanks to its unique injector position. The ECU features a new map adapted to the new exhaust, airbox and engine configuration for optimal power characteristics.
- Supreme reliability: All engines are fitted with the proven electric starter, which is a major benefit for any offroad activity. It is powered by a super lightweight 2 ah lithium-ion starter battery, which provides safe, reliable starting. A reworked wiring harness and revised packaging has most of the electrical components concentrated into a common area below the seat, making them more accessible and reliable.
- Displacement: 510.9 cm³
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Bore: 95 mm
- Stroke: 72 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Frame design: Central-tube frame with double-cradle
- Rear suspension: WP Xplor PDS shock absorber
- Front brake: Brembo twin-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear brake: Brembo single-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 63.5 °
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke
- 510.9 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 95 mm x 72 mm
- Fuel System
- Keihin EMS
- Final Drive
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Rear Suspension
- WP Xplor PDS shock absorber
- Front Brakes
- Brembo twin-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear Brakes
- Brembo single-piston floating calliper, brake disc